Whisky Ideas to Make your Christmas Bright
If you want to be a real whisky enthusiast, , then you need to take advantage of every opportunity. Like Christmas, when the giving spirit abounds. So ,if you’re looking for ideas on what cool stuff to get this year, or if you are trying to shop for the whisky person with everything, here are a few ideas.
– A whisky magazine. There are lots available as close as your nearest bookstore. Whisky, Whisky Advocate, American Whiskey, Unfiltered, Cask and Still, to name a few.
– A cool whisky glass. Again, there are lots out there, like the Glencairn, one of the Norlan collection, something made of crystal, ones with a built-in cigar holder, or one made for a giant ice ball thingy. Gimmicks, for sure, but they show your commitment to the cause.
– A flask. I always carry a whisky flask when I ski, because nothing completes hot chocolate like a wee dram of Irish whiskey.
– A gift card to your local liquor store. Let’s face it, whisky is getting expensive, so when you’re trying to justify that 21 year old single malt, it’s nice to have some relief in your pocket.
Some of these basic gift ideas will bring a smile
Less than obvious:
– A whisky dictionary. Really. Available through Amazon.
– A cool water dropper. For adding a few drops to your dram in order to bring out the flavor. You can use a straw, or a cheap plastic dropper from the local pharmacy. But a nice, professional-looking dropper tells your friends that you are in charge of the situation.
– Whisky filled chocolates. I shared my latest with a some friends last week. Laphroaig, Dalwhinnie, Dalmore. Delicious. Need I say more?
– Refillable Christmas tree ornaments. Seriously. Decorating the tree has never been more fun.
These ideas will guarantee a smile
But, maybe we need to raise the bar. Raise expectations. Raise the roof. Raise a little hell… Whatever the case, these gifts are guaranteed to raise some eyebrows;
– A whisky advent calendar. Add some spice to the 24 days leading up to Christmas. Some of these calendars are superb, with 30, 40 and even 50 year old whisky samples inside. They can provide your favorite whisky fan with drams that might be otherwise out of reach.
– A bottle of whisky from somewhere unique. We all have Scotland, Ireland, Canada, USA, Japan and Taiwan represented in our tasting history. But what about South Africa? Israel? Czech Republic? Iceland? There’s a whole world of cool, unique bottles out there just waiting to go under your Christmas tree. It’s a great way to expand your collection and challenge your taste buds.
– A whisky that speaks to the season. With a little searching, you can find nice, seasonal whiskies. Like High West’s A Midwinter Night’s Dram. or the Big Peat Christmas Edition. Perhaps Ballantines Christmas Reserve. Or the Glenfiddich Ice Wine Finish. It’s enough to make Santa give up his milk and cookies.
Hit a home run with these exceptional gifts
So, there is is. Your whisky lover’s Christmas all laid out. Maybe you won’t have time to get it wrapped and under the tree this year. But it’s never too late to start planning for next. In the meantime, have a great Christmas and tune in soon as we explore the whiskies of India. Cheers! Enjoy!